The American Red Cross is asking the public to kick off 2020 by doing something big: Give blood or platelets now to address the critical need for blood donors of all blood types – especially type O – and platelet donors.
A shortfall in donations can cause delays in care
The family of 12-year-old Dagan Hawkins, who was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia in November, knows this all too well. “While at the hospital, Dagan needed platelet and blood transfusions,” said Dustin Hawkins, Dagan’s father. “There was a time when platelets had to be delivered from another location because they were not available.”
You can help restock the shelves
- Make an appointment to give blood or platelets by downloading the free Blood Donor App, visiting RedCrossBlood.org or calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
- Let your friends and family know there is a critical need for blood and platelet donors and ask them to #GiveNow.
- Bring someone to donate with you.
Your support can help ensure blood products are there for patients going through cancer treatments, trauma victims, premature babies and others who depend on transfusions for survival.
To help tackle the current critical need for blood and platelets, the Red Cross has teamed up with the NFL to offer one lucky winner the chance to experience the Super Bowl live in Miami. Those who come to give Jan. 1-19, 2020, will automatically be entered for a chance to win an exciting Super Bowl LIV getaway for two. The Super Bowl LIV getaway package includes two tickets to Super Bowl LIV, entry to the official NFL Tailgate, two tickets to Super Bowl Experience at the Miami Beach Convention Center, round-trip airfare to Miami and three-night hotel accommodations (Jan. 31-Feb. 3, 2020), and a $500 gift card for expenses. Terms apply; visit RedCrossBlood.org/SuperBowl for more information.[PAM1]
Don’t wait to help. Make your game plan to give now and help save lives.
Links used in blog:
- Give now – http://www.redcrossblood.org/give.html/find-drive
- Blood Donor App – https://www.redcrossblood.org/blood-donor-app.html
- RedCrossBlood.org – https://www.redcrossblood.org/give.html/find-drive
- Platelet – http://www.redcrossblood.org/donate-blood/how-to-donate/types-of-blood-donations/platelet-donation.html
- RedCrossBlood.org/SuperBowl – https://www.redcrossblood.org/local-homepage/events/win-a-trip-to-super-bowl-liv.html
- Give now – https://www.redcrossblood.org/give.html/find-drive>